Who can use the equipment?

The equipment can be used by Calvert SCD Cooperators anywhere in Calvert County. Some equipment is available to rent in the tri-county area (Charles and St. Mary’s Counties) that are cooperators with their respective Soil Conservation District. We require that you carry insurance that covers your liability while using the equipment.

The other consideration is your tractor. Each piece of equipment’s page details the minimum tractor power needed to operate it under typical conditions. When in doubt, get in touch with us and we will help you decide if a certain piece of equipment is right for you.

How and when do I reserve the equipment?

All you need to do is contact us by phone or email and we will reserve the equipment for you. There is usually not a waiting list, but there are certain times of year when some pieces of equipment are quite busy, for example, the no-till seed drill is in high demand in May and early September. We know that a lot can delay your plans when you are using the equipment, like the weather, and we are happy to work with you and keep the schedule flexible as much as possible while still accommodating all renters.

How do I transport the equipment?

Most of our rental equipment is designed to be towed over road locally by a sufficiently sized truck, without a trailer. Just make sure your truck and hitch are rated to tow the weight of the equipment. Equipment must be towed during daylight, during low-traffic times of day, and at reduced speeds.

The rental equipment is housed in locations around Prince Frederick and St. Leonard. You will have to pick up and return the equipment in a timely manner to and from the storage location.

What’s the story with this rental program?

Our goal is to help you improve your soils and conserve nutrients, ultimately improving water quality in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Most of our equipment was purchased using grant funds, which allows us to charge very modest rental fees. 100% of the rental fees go towards the repair, maintenance, and eventual replacement of the equipment.

How do I pay the equipment rental fees?

Please pay by cash or check, made out to Calvert Soil Conservation District. Credit is not accepted.